The Haus der Berliner Festspiele

Today’s Haus der Berliner Festspiele was opened in 1963 as the “Theater der Freien Volksbühne” under the direction of Erwin Piscator and, alongside the Deutsche Oper Berlin, it is one of the best-known buildings designed by Berlin architect Fritz Bornemann. Set in a garden, the theatre building opens up towards the city through broad glass façades and embodies the democratic ideals of post-war modernist architecture.

At both this venue and other locations, the Berliner Festspiele present all-year-round festivals such as MaerzMusik – Festival for Contemporary Music, the Theatertreffen, Foreign Affairs – International Festival for Theatre and the Performing Arts, the Musikfest Berlin, the Jazzfest Berlin, the National Contests Theatertreffen der Jugend, Tanztreffen der Jugend, Treffen junger Autoren und Treffen junge Musik-Szene, and a variety of individual events.

Calendar

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
23
24
31

Martin-Gropius-Bau

The Martin-Gropius-Bau

Originally built by the architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden in 1881, the house has become one of the most famous and most beautiful exhibition halls in Germany since its meticulous restoration in the 1970s. Many international exhibitions have since found a fitting venue there.

Many millions of visitors have seen the exhibitions in the Martin-Gropius-Bau. The house was further restored in 1999/2000 with funding from the federal government. Air-conditioning was installed and the north entrance was redesigned as the main entrance. The architectural office of Hilmer & Sattler & Albrecht was in charge of the reconstruction.