Questions & Answers
Will tours and workshops take place? Will the art education programme be resumed?
From August we will again offer guided tours and workshops at the Gropius Bau. Due to social distancing and hygiene regulations, the number of participants is strictly limited. Please book a ticket to participate. All dates can be found in our calendar.
Are the restaurant and bookshop normally open?
The Restaurant Beba and Walther König bookshop are open under special conditions. Please note access restrictions and instructions on site.
Is the cloakroom open?
The cloakroom is closed for security reasons. Bags and backpacks no larger than A4 format are permitted in the galleries.
How can I get a ticket?
To ensure a safe environment for employees and visitors we recommend purchasing exhibition tickets in advance in our online shop. To avoid queues in the cash desk area, you will be assigned a time slot when purchasing your ticket. Because of the new entry limitations waiting times may still exist; we ask for your understanding.
Can tickets still be purchased at the box office?
We recommend that all visitors buy their tickets online in advance. Tickets will continue to be sold on site.
Which hygiene and conduct requirements must be observed?
The following measures can help you to protect yourself and others:
We ask that all visitors
- wear a textile mouth and nose mask. If you are unable to wear a mouth and nose cover for health reasons and have a corresponding certificate, we must ask you to wear a visor for your protection and out of consideration for other visitors. Please understand that we agree with the assessment of the Robert Koch Institute and that we do not accept a visor as an alternative to mouth and nose mask. Without a certificate, access to our events with a visor instead of a mouth and nose mask is therefore not possible.
- maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 meters from other visitors and employees
- sneeze and cough into the crook of the arm or a tissue – and then dispose of the tissue in a bin with a lid
- avoid touching surfaces if possible
- wash your hands regularly with soap and wash for a sufficient amount of time (at least 20 seconds) especially after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
- pay attention to on-site signage and the instructions of personnel
What other hygiene requirements apply to visitors?
The number of visitors in the foyer and entrance area is limited to max. 10 people. One person per 10 m² is allowed in the gallery spaces. The elevator may be used by max. one person or several members of the same household. Please observe the permitted number of persons when sitting down on one of the benches throughout the building. We ask you to pay attention to the separation markers in the respective areas.
Entrances and exits are mostly separated. Routing is marked on the floor so that visitors can follow tours in the Gropius Bau. Please pay attention to the signage.
Some works in the exhibitions may be touched and entered; they are marked accordingly. Visitors are asked to disinfect their hands before and after this interaction.
What should I do if I feel unwell on the day of my visit?
If you suffer from a chronic respiratory disease, we currently advise against attending an event. If you have had contact with someone suffering from COVID-19 in the last 14 days before an event or if you yourself suffer from an upper respiratory tract infection, unfortunately we are currently unable to grant you access to the Gropius Bau.
Please contact us by e-mail to or by phone on +49 30 254 89 100, so that together we can find the right way to deal with the situation.
What regulations apply to events in the cinema?
Please wear a textile mouth and nose mask as soon as you enter the Gropius Bau. During the event, the mask can be removed while sitting on your assigned seat. Jackets, coats and bags must be taken to the seat or locked in a locker near the entrance to the cinema. In order to guarantee a minimum distance of 1.5 meters, the number of available seats in the auditorium is strictly limited. In general, there are only single seats available. Persons from a common household cannot sit together directly for organisational reasons. Please also pay attention to the instructions of our staff regarding entrance and exit.
What are other preventive measures to contain the infection?
The house is cleaned and disinfected throughout the day, in particular frequently used areas such as door handles, elevator buttons, cash desks, toilets and handrails. Hand disinfectants are provided for visitors at the main entrance.