BPA at Gropius Studios
BPA at Gropius Studios is a collaboration between the Gropius Bau and BPA// Berlin program for artists, an artist-run mentoring programme. From October to December 2020, eleven BPA participants used rooms at the Gropius Bau as studios. This online presentation offers a view of the works they developed during that time. Each artist page features documentation of works and research developed and presented at the studios, as well as a link to the publications and essays that were commissioned in dialog with their work.
BPA at Gropius Studios resonated with the history of the Gropius Bau, which opened in 1881 as a Museum and School of Decorative Arts featuring numerous studios and workshops. The project offered artists physical space for their work in the Gropius Bau building, thereby re-establishing the institution as a place of artistic production, and blurring the boundaries between studio and exhibition space. With the rooms utilised for both creative work and different presentation formats, BPA at Gropius Studios asked what it means for artists to reveal parts of their artistic process and to invite an audience into their studio.
In addition to returning to the historical roots of the building, the collaboration also aimed to open the exhibition hall to partners in the city and to provide a platform for Berlin artists together with BPA.
BPA // Berlin program for artists was founded in 2016 by artists Angela Bulloch, Simon Denny and Willem de Rooij, facilitating exchange between emerging and established Berlin-based artists. The mentoring programme organises reciprocal studio visits, public lectures and joint exhibitions.
The 2020 edition of BPA at Gropius Studios was curated by Boaz Levin and Anna-Lisa Scherfose (Assistant Curator) and supported by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe.
Nadja Abt, Niklas Binzberger, Rob Crosse, Anne Fellner, Bertrand Flanet, Dina Khouri, Doireann O'Malley, Victor Payares, Esper Postma, Anton Steenbock, Katrin Winkler